We review myths and reality in the management of patients with Sickle Cell Disease (SCD)
- Are these patients typically opioid seeking? (No)
- If the patient appears comfortable I should withhold proper analgesia. (No).
- Should IV fluids be a routine part of the cocktail for vaso-occlusive pain episodes? (No)
We also review common emergencies in sickle cell disease that include
- Acute chest syndrome
- Anemia (Aplastic crisis, splenic sequestration)
- Avascular necrosis
- Renal, pulmonary, splenic infarctions
- Vaso-occlusive pain episodes
Thanks for listening!
Lauren Westafer and Jeremy Faust